Tankerdale has been doing work for Longleat House for many years; over the last few years we have been working on a large conservation project that will be ongoing until 2020. We are working in three of the State Rooms which include, the Ante Library, the Red Library and the Breakfast Room. These rooms consist of doors, windows and bookcases which are all veneered in marquetry. Over time these have been damaged, the surfaces become sun bleached and some of the groundwork has split. 

The marquetry work dates from 1870 when John Crace and his workshop undertook many grandiose transformations of the interior of Longleat, carried out for the 4th Marquess of Bath. The Marquess was a great collector of both painting and furniture, especially that of Venetian mythology; this taste is clearly reflected in the mythological figures and designs of the panels and doors.  

Picture1

Filling the split marquetry with new boxwood. Engraving has been added to the boxwood fill before the colour is matched up.

 

At the workshop the degraded surface is removed extremely carefully, trying to ensure that none of the original engraving is removed with it. New repairs are then colour matched to the original surface and the whole thing is then polished. 

IMG_1318

One of the window panels at the Tankerdale workshop.

Ante Library to Lower E Corridor door - IMG_8509

A door being refitted in the Ante Library